- REGISTERED 1987
- AMENDED BY AGM OF 1989
- AMENDED BY AGM OF 1995
I. THE NAME
- The name of the Association is:
The Anglo-Turkish Association of Northern Cyprus.
Henceforth referred to as ‘The Association’.
- The address of the Association is:
P O Box 627, Girne.
- The Association is a non-profit making social and cultural organisation.
II. THE AIMS
The aims of the Association should be to promote understanding and mutual respect between the English and the Turkish speaking peoples of Northern Cyprus and to extend this understanding between Turkish and English speaking communities all over the world by:
- Promoting cultural, social and other relations generally, particularly between the peoples of the UK, the Republic of Turkey and the TRNC including the organising of activities such as social gatherings, lectures, seminars, concerts, exhibitions, excursions.
- Supporting education in general; the educational institutions in the TRNC; the promotion of classes for Turkish Cypriots wishing to learn English, and English speaking residents in the TRNC wishing to learn Turkish; and extending this support to TRNC students wishing to continue their higher education in the UK or any other English speaking country, and students of such countries who wish to study in the TRNC.
- Identifying the problems of the English speaking residents of the TRNC and aiding in their solution.
- Aiding in the understanding and preservation of the cultural heritage of the island of Cyprus:
and: co-operating with, aiding and encouraging appropriate Governments, NGOs and organisations having the same or similar aims as above to do likewise.
- Membership of the Association is open to all residents in the TRNC.
- Each applicant for membership shall forward to the secretary a completed application form together with the current subscription. All applications shall be considered by the Executive Committee. The Executive Committee shall have power to refuse any application for membership without any obligations to give the reasons for such refusal.
- The annual subscription of the Association shall cover the period between January 1 and December 31 of each year. The amount shall be determined annually by the Executive Committee.
- Members whose subscriptions are not received one calendar month before the Annual General Meeting shall not be able to participate in that meeting. The Committee may after due written notice terminate the membership of any member who, without justification, delays payment of any subscription for more than 3 months.
- Life membership to be equivalent to 10 years’ annual subscription at the time of application.
- In case the conduct of any member shall in the opinion of the Committee be considered injurious to the honour or reputation or the interests of the Association, the Committee shall request a written explanation from such a member. If the explanation is not forth-coming within a month or if, although given, it is in the view of the Committee unsatisfactory, the Committee may expel such member from the Association.
IV. THE ADMINISTRATIVE ORGANS OF THE ASSOCIATION
The Administrative organs of the Association are:
- The Annual General Meeting
- Extra-ordinary General Meeting
- The Executive Committee
- Any other member or ad hoc sub-committee entrusted with any specific duty within the aims of the Association
- Honorary Auditor
THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
- The Annual General Meetings of the Association shall be held once at the beginning of each calendar year not later than the end of February at such time and place as the Executive Committee may appoint. This rule shall not apply to the first Annual General Meeting in 1987.
- At least fourteen days notice, in writing, shall be given of the Annual General Meeting, accompanied by a copy of the Agenda and the annual accounts and activity report.
- At an Annual General meeting more than half of the members eligible to vote must be present in order to form a quorum. But, after half-an-hour from the time fixed in the Notice any number present shall form a quorum.
- The decisions of such meetings shall be decided by the majority votes of those present. Voting may be by show of hands, but upon request of at least three members present, it may be carried out by secret ballot. No member who has not paid his annual subscription shall be eligible to attend the Meeting or vote thereat.
- At an Annual General Meeting the members shall have the right:
- To speak and discuss every item on the Agenda preceding a vote.
- To elect new members to the Executive Committee.
- To elect an Honorary Auditor for the succeeding year.
- An Extraordinary General meeting may be called by the Executive Committee in self or upon the written request of not less than 1/5 of the members eligible to vote at the Annual General meeting. The meeting will be held within 22 days of receipt of the written request by the Hon. Secretary, accompanied by the Agenda. No other business shall be transacted at such a meeting.
THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE : COMPOSITION, PROCEEDINGS, AND POWERS AND DUTIES
- The Association shall be administered by an Executive Committee consisting of 5 Turkish and 5 English speaking members, elected at the Annual General Meeting of the Association. The Executive Committee so elected each year shall elect its officers, though the Chairman and the Vice-Chairman shall not be of the same nationality for more than two years.
- Four members shall form a quorum. Decisions shall be taken by majority of the votes of those present at the meeting. In case of equality of votes, the Chairman shall have the casting vote. Any members of the Executive Committee who, without reasonable excuse, fails to attend three consecutive Committee Meetings may be considered to have resigned from the Committee.
- The Executive Committee of the Association shall be:
- One Chairman
- One Vice-Chairman
- One Hon. Secretary
- One Hon. Treasurer
- Six Members
- The Executive Committee shall have power:
- To call and regulate its own meetings and proceedings.
- To approve new membership applications.
- To co-opt members of the Association to fill vacancies on the Committee until the next Extraordinary or Annual General Meeting.
- To appoint sub-committees for specific purposes and elect members thereto.
- To generally manage and supervise the affairs of the Association including the purchase of necessaries.
- To use or sell or invest the property or funds of the Association in accordance with policies laid down by the Annual General meeting.
- The committee and sub-committee shall keep minutes of the proceedings.
- The Committee shall meet as often as may be found necessary.
- The Committee shall:
- Cause proper books of account to be kept in respect of all the financial transactions, dealings and other activities made on behalf of the Association during their term of office.
- Authorise two of its officers to supervise and operate the Bank Accounts of Association.
- Hire or engage services of full-time or part-time employees or dismiss them.
- Prepare a Chairman’s report for the Annual General Meeting and a financial statement for submission to the Hon. Auditor.
THE HON. AUDITOR
- The Hon. Auditor shall be elected by the Annual General Meeting.
- The Hon. Auditor shall audit the Accounts of the Association and shall approve the Financial Statement of the Executive Committee.
V. HONORARY MEMBERS
- Any member who, in the opinion expressed by voting at the Annual General Meeting or at an Extraordinary General Meeting of the Association, has rendered valuable or outstanding services, or who has made significant contributions to the Association in its endeavours to achieve any of its aims, may be elected as an Honorary Member of the Association.
- Any person in a high or Honourable post or position in the TRNC, United Kingdom, Turkey or in any other country approved by the Executive Committee may be elected as an Honorary Member at an Annual General Meeting, or at an Extraordinary General Meeting called for the purpose.
VI. AMENDMENT TO THE RULES
Proposals for the amendments to the rules must be submitted to the Executive Committee at least 30 days before the Annual General Meeting and must appear in detail on Agenda of the Annual General Meeting. Such proposals shall require a majority vote of at least 3/5 of those present at the Meeting.
VII. WINDING UP OF THE ASSOCIATION
- A request to wind up the Association can only come from:
- The Executive Committee
- 1/3 of the members.
- An Extraordinary General Meeting will be held 30 days after such a request is received by the Hon. Secretary.
- A 2/3 majority of the current Membership of the Association is required for a decision to wind-up.
- The Executive Committee will propose to members in Notices for an Extraordinary General Meeting to which organisation the assets and the funds of the Association shall be transferred, and the Extraordinary General Meeting will have the final decision by a majority vote of 2/3 of the Membership.