- REGISTERED 1987
- AMENDED BY AGM OF 1989
- AMENDED BY AGM OF 1995
- AMENDED BY AGM OF 2017
I. THE NAME
- The name of the Association is:
The Anglo-Turkish Association of Northern Cyprus.
Henceforth referred to as ‘The Association’.
- The address of the Association is:
No. 1 Bahcelivler Sokak, Bogazkoy, Girne.
- The Web address of the Association is: http://www.angloturkishassociation.com
- The Emblem of the Association is shown in attachment No. 1
- The Association is a non-profit making social and cultural organisation.
- The Association has no branches.
II. THE AIMS
The overall aim of the Association should be to promote understanding and mutual respect between the English and the Turkish speaking peoples of Northern Cyprus. This should be achieved by incorporating the following objectives:
- Promoting cultural, social and other relations generally, between these peoples through the organising of activities such as conferences, seminars, social gatherings, excursions talks and local projects.
- Aiding in the understanding and preservation of the cultural heritage of the island of Cyprus.
- Supporting education in general.
The Association was established by 17 (Seventeen) adult members whose names and surnames are stated below:
Membership is open to English or Turkish speaking people over 18 years of age, residing either permanently or temporarily in Northern Cyprus.
To become a paid-up member the following applies:
- Each applicant shall forward to a member of the Executive Committee a completed application form together with the current subscription.
- All applications shall be considered by the Executive Committee.
- The Executive Committee shall have the power to refuse an application for membership without any obligation to give reasons for such a refusal.
- The annual membership fee of the Association and payment thereof shall cover the period between January 1st and December 31st of each year. The membership fee for 2017 is 30TL. The amount shall be determined annually by the Executive Committee.
- Life membership to be equivalent to 10 years’ annual membership at the time of application.
- Cancellation of membership may arise either through resignation, death or fees unpaid by the 31st December of any given year; or as the result of a disciplinary committee action.
V. AMENDMENTS TO THE CONSTITUTION
Any amendments to the Constitution of the Association, election of the Executive Committee or any other body require advertisement by Agenda at the Annual General Meeting
IV. ADMINISTRATIVE BODIES OF THE ASSOCIATION
- The Administrative bodies of the Association are as follows:
- Ordinary General Meeting (AGM)
- Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM)
- The Executive Committee (hereafter referred to as ‘the Committee’
- Auditing Committee
- Disciplinary Committee
- Sub-Committee/s appointed for specific duties
- The Annual General Meeting is the highest decision-making body of the Association.
- It must be held once a year by the end of April, at the latest.
- Extraordinary General Meetings refer to all other additional meetings.
VII. ASSOCIATION RECORDS TO BE KEPT
- AGM, Executive Committee, Auditing Committee, Disciplinary Committee, All mst keep records of their work and decisions
- Income & Expenditure records
- Membership records
VIII. ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
- It must be held once a year; the Committee decides on the venue, date and time of the meeting.
- Those who have paid their membership fees for the current year, at least 28 days prior to the AGM, can attend, vote or be a Committee candidate.
- Any additional items requested by a member must be submitted in writing to the Committee no less than 7 days before the meeting and will be handled under ‘any other business’ of the Agenda unless relating to a specific agenda item.
- The Committee will issue a written invitation to all members not less than 21 days before the date of the meeting enclosing the previous year’s accounts and the agenda for the meeting.
- The meeting will start when a quorum defined in item X below, is established.
- The decisions of the meeting will be decided by a simple majority votes of the votes of those present. Voting may be by show of hands or it may be carried out by secret ballot.
- At the Annual General Meeting, the members present shall have the right to:
- Speak and discuss any item on the Agenda preceding a vote.
- To elect members to organs of the Association.
- To elect an Accounts Auditor.
IX. EXTRAORDINARY GENERAL MEETING
An Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM) can be convened upon a written invitation by the secretary. It may be called at the request of the Committee or by a written request of not less than 1/5 of the members eligible to vote at the AGM. An Agenda to be issued and no other business may be transacted at such a meeting.
An AGM or EGM has a quorum when 50% +1 of the eligible members are present.
If there is no quorum at the scheduled time, the meeting will be postponed for 30 minutes. It at that time a quorum is not present, the meeting will continue as if a quorum were present.
THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE : COMPOSITION, PROCEEDINGS, AND POWERS AND DUTIES
- The Association shall be administered by an Executive Committee consisting of 5 Turkish and 5 English speaking members, elected at the Annual General Meeting of the Association. The Executive Committee so elected each year shall elect its officers, though the Chairman and the Vice-Chairman shall not be of the same nationality for more than two years.
- Four members shall form a quorum. Decisions shall be taken by majority of the votes of those present at the meeting. In case of equality of votes, the Chairman shall have the casting vote. Any members of the Executive Committee who, without reasonable excuse, fails to attend three consecutive Committee Meetings may be considered to have resigned from the Committee.
- The Executive Committee of the Association shall be:
- One Chairman
- One Vice-Chairman
- One Hon. Secretary
- One Hon. Treasurer
- Six Members
- The Executive Committee shall have power:
- To call and regulate its own meetings and proceedings.
- To approve new membership applications.
- To co-opt members of the Association to fill vacancies on the Committee until the next Extraordinary or Annual General Meeting.
- To appoint sub-committees for specific purposes and elect members thereto.
- To generally manage and supervise the affairs of the Association including the purchase of necessaries.
- To use or sell or invest the property or funds of the Association in accordance with policies laid down by the Annual General meeting.
- The committee and sub-committee shall keep minutes of the proceedings.
- The Committee shall meet as often as may be found necessary.
- The Committee shall:
- Cause proper books of account to be kept in respect of all the financial transactions, dealings and other activities made on behalf of the Association during their term of office.
- Authorise two of its officers to supervise and operate the Bank Accounts of Association.
- Hire or engage services of full-time or part-time employees or dismiss them.
- Prepare a Chairman’s report for the Annual General Meeting and a financial statement for submission to the Hon. Auditor.
THE HON. AUDITOR
- The Hon. Auditor shall be elected by the Annual General Meeting.
- The Hon. Auditor shall audit the Accounts of the Association and shall approve the Financial Statement of the Executive Committee.
V. HONORARY MEMBERS
- Any member who, in the opinion expressed by voting at the Annual General Meeting or at an Extraordinary General Meeting of the Association, has rendered valuable or outstanding services, or who has made significant contributions to the Association in its endeavours to achieve any of its aims, may be elected as an Honorary Member of the Association.
- Any person in a high or Honourable post or position in the TRNC, United Kingdom, Turkey or in any other country approved by the Executive Committee may be elected as an Honorary Member at an Annual General Meeting, or at an Extraordinary General Meeting called for the purpose.
VI. AMENDMENT TO THE RULES
Proposals for the amendments to the rules must be submitted to the Executive Committee at least 30 days before the Annual General Meeting and must appear in detail on Agenda of the Annual General Meeting. Such proposals shall require a majority vote of at least 3/5 of those present at the Meeting.
VII. WINDING UP OF THE ASSOCIATION
- A request to wind up the Association can only come from:
- The Executive Committee
- 1/3 of the members.
- An Extraordinary General Meeting will be held 30 days after such a request is received by the Hon. Secretary.
- A 2/3 majority of the current Membership of the Association is required for a decision to wind-up.
- The Executive Committee will propose to members in Notices for an Extraordinary General Meeting to which organisation the assets and the funds of the Association shall be transferred, and the Extraordinary General Meeting will have the final decision by a majority vote of 2/3 of the Membership.